Saturday, December 18, 2010

Burris: I won't run for mayor

Former U.S. senator Roland Burris, a Chatham resident, announced yesterday he will not run for Chicago mayor, after filing petitions but never formally declaring himself a candidate.

Burris' intentions have been unclear -- he filed petitions to run for mayor just before the late November deadline but has not campaigned. With no campaign money and little political support, he was not considered a major factor in the wide-open race to replace Mayor Richard Daley, who is not seeking re-election in February.

"I want to thank all of those who backed me for the office of mayor and those who signed the petition, but I will not be offering myself as a candidate for mayor of Chicago," Burris said in the statement released this afternoon.

He did not elaborate on his reasons or endorse another candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment